Whoever invented lipstick was a genius as well as a savior… Imagine how life would have been without our favorite lipsticks?! For as long as red lipstick has been around, we’ve tried to master the application, find the absolutely to-die-for perfect shade and ways to make it last all day long. If you love makeup and want to add that final touch to your lips you need to read these lipstick tips and rules that every girl should know about.
1. Exfoliate: Dry, flaky lips can seriously impact how your lip color settles on your lips. Slough away dry skin by exfoliating with a sugar lip scrub or by gently rubbing the lips with a damp washcloth.
2. Moisturize: Hydrated lips are key to the smooth application, but you don’t want to apply lip balm immediately before putting on lipstick. It will create a barrier and your lipstick won’t adhere properly. Instead, apply lip balm before you go to bed and when you wake up in the morning.
3. Consider your skin tone: There’s no perfect science when determining which color looks best on you, so be prepared to test a bunch of shades. But here’s a general rule of thumb to guide you.
- Fair skin tones: Peachy hues look great on fair skin. A bold red is also a pretty way play up porcelain skin.
- Medium skin tones: Lucky you! Generally, most lipstick shades complement medium to olive skin tones.
- Dark skin tones: Deep berries or wine-colored reds look fantastic. A vibrant fuchsia is also a great pick.
4. Mix and blend: Don’t restrict yourself to just one color. Play the role of a mixologist and blend colors together to create a one-of-a-kind shade.
5. Consider your formula: This really comes down to personal preference. Matte lipsticks are known for their staying power, but they can also dry out your skin. Creams are moisturizing but may slip off after a while, whereas gloss finishes give extra shine but can be a little sticky and thick.
6. Start with a base: Apply a thin layer of foundation or concealer to your lips. Just like a primer, this helps create a blank slate to start with and will help your lipstick last longer.
7. Be a lip lining pro: Lip liner gets a bad rap for being outdated, but it’s a key tool in upping your lipstick game. It makes your application more precise and helps it stay put. Just make sure that your lip liner isn’t darker than your lipstick shade. The easiest route? Go for an invisible or colorless liner — it’s foolproof.
8. Avoid lipstick on the teeth: Your grandma might have taught you this trick way back when. It’s one of those passed-down pieces of motherly advice that really works: After you’ve applied a bright shade, close your mouth around your ring finger and pull your finger out.
9. Blot: Blotting might seem like an unnecessary step, but it helps remove excess color and helps prevent lipstick from getting on your teeth. Take a tissue and lightly press it on top of your mouth. Just don’t press too hard!
10. Never throw out a broken tube: Instead, try this genius tip. Hold the base of the lipstick over a lit candle, and as it starts to melt quickly stick the broken tube to the base. Put it in the freezer for a few minutes to successfully salvage your favorite lipstick.